Diploma of Personal Training
This qualification reflects the role of personal trainers who have specialist skills to train individual clients, or groups of clients, on a one-on-one or group basis, to improve health-related components of fitness in relatively low risk situations. This may include training of older clients and children.
They have a substantial depth of knowledge to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training; provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff; and deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and the organisation.
They work independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems, including monitoring and managing business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
The qualification does not provide the skills and knowledge for an individual to provide advice or exercise instruction to high risk clients, other than to refer the client to an appropriate medical or allied health professional.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in a diversity of fitness industry businesses including fitness centres, gyms, aquatic facilities, community facilities and in open spaces.
The course duration for the Diploma of Personal Training is 9 months.
- Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- Instruct fitness programs
- Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- Provide healthy eating information
- Instruct exercise to older clients
- Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- Instruct group exercise sessions
- Provide motivation to positively influence exercise behaviour
- Promote functional movement capacity
- Incorporate exercise science principles into fitness programming
- Instruct exercise programs for body composition goals
- Instruct personal training programs
- Instruct strength and conditioning techniques
- Develop strength and conditioning programs
- Instruct advanced exercise programs
- Implement injury prevention strategies
Course Delivery and Assessment Arrangements
Delivery and Assessment Arrangements
- You can use a combination of pathways such as self-paced, classroom/workshop tutorial and on or off-the-job to complete the qualification
- Competency based assessment is used during all assessment activities. Competency is achieved through demonstrating your knowledge and practical application of skills.
- The “assessment activities” will include but not limited to such things as written/oral questions, third party feedback where applicable, activities, and scenarios of knowledge and practical application of skills.